Sunday, November 6, 2011

5.3 C

I don't think I've ever been in a concert that I knew less about. Yesterday was some sort of International Festival, and so naturally, violin club played our ever-popular "Jewish Fantasy." A medley of Hava Nagila, Hatikva, etc. The Russians eat it up.

They shoved us onstage in between the Georgian choir and an Imperial court troupe. We played our gig, plowed though the mass of tiny peasant dancers waiting in the wings, and went home. Actually, after that, we went to the train station, where we then played our entire repertoire for a hall full of unsuspecting travelers. And then we went home.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's particularly funny that it's called Jewish "fantasy". Those don't sound like particularly fantastic or fantastical songs (at least on this side of the Pacific. Or this side of the Atlantic?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - it was rather hot on stage, as it is in most Siberian buildings, but I didn't have a chance to check for sure.

    Ruth - I think it's more like "Jewish Fantasia" - remember that here we are "the exotic other"!

    ReplyDelete